Surrendering Your Way to Freedom?


We have a God that tells us to surrender control to Him.

But we also live in a world that tells us surrender is a sign of weakness. We feel like a failure for waiving the white flag. We are told to hold onto control and rely only on ourselves. We have a white knuckled grip on the things we have and our plans.

God's message is so simple- surrender. No trying to convince us, no smoke and mirrors. Simply the promise of a better day and a brighter future. How do we focus on such a simple message when life and the world around us are so loud and distracting. And if the world tells us all these things, how does it make sense that surrendering and listening to God's simple message will actually lead to freedom. These messages are contradicting, right? For a while I was living with white knuckles on my life, but as I have learned to live a surrendered life, I have gained an immense joy and a wonderful freedom.

So how has surrendering played a role in my life?

Rewind about two years to a time when I thought I knew exactly what my life was going to look like and where I was heading. Rather, I knew exactly how I thought it should look. I had a serious boyfriend that I believed was the one I would end up with. I had an idea of where I would go to grad school or get a job after college since he would graduate and get a job first. I was praying daily to God to show me that this plan I had was right since that was what I wanted. But then things happened and we broke up which really threw me off. Right around this time, someone had asked me where I saw myself after graduating, and all I could say was I didn't know. I really had no clue anymore. It was as if God took it all away to show me himself and show me that He had different, better plans than I could think up on my own.

However, I first had to choose Him and follow Him with more conviction than ever before. I needed to surrender my plans to Him. I had already been involved in my faith some, so I could feel that life was pulling me to grow deeper in my faith. I wanted what God had planned. The idea that He had plans for me and this decision to commit myself brought me an immense flooding of joy. I began to pray instead for God to show me what He thought was right and what He had planned. Even so, I went through a few months of not totally surrendering my plans and trying to figure out who I was still on my own. During this time, I tripped up over and over. I was half in and half out, but eventually I got tired of the cycle and the only way out seemed to be to go deeper and surrender even more to God.

One day while reading a devotional, I came upon the idea of radical surrender. I read a quote that really touched me: “Radical surrender to Jesus: we surrender when we trust that Love will save us. Make us more ourselves than we could ever become by choosing our wants and desires over God’s.” I realized that the whole time I kinda wanted his plans over mine, but to get to that I needed to surrender my plans and my life fully. Every time I did, He would reveal something more that I needed to surrender. It was scary and extremely difficult when it meant saying no to things that seemed fun and appealing for years. But I discovered a joy, peace and a freedom in all of my surrendering. It definitely has not been all smooth sailing for me since then, I don't want to give a false view of my life consisting of all sunshine and rainbows. It is something I still struggle to choose, but day by day, as I choose surrender, it has become easier and easier. The chains on my heart and mind have loosened bit by bit and my joy and freedom have grown and deepened. As I said above, I am becoming more myself through choosing God and surrendering instead of keeping a tight grip. I never would have expected where I’m headed now, but I also couldn't imagine it any other way.

So why does the bible tell us to surrender?

For most of the book of Acts, Paul and the other disciples are traveling around the world spreading the good news of Jesus and starting the Church. Acts 10: 6 and 7 mention two different places where the Holy Spirit directed him not to go and preach, but in verse 10 he is called to proclaim the good news in Macedonia. So many blessings came from Paul deciding to listen to the direction of the Holy Spirit. There are many times in our lives when God appears to be saying “no” to something. However, we usually want that thing or are convinced that it is the thing that will make us happy, satisfy us, or fulfill our lives. God doesn't want us to keep going for it anyway.  He gives us “no’s” so that we are available and ready for the “yes’s”. May we have the wisdom to know that we are shown that something isn't right for that time so that we can have room for the right thing. Surrendering our lives to God allows room for Him to show us and lead our hearts to what is meant for us.

So what does this mean for your life?

There may be something that God has put on your heart to surrender. But you may also feel that it would be too hard or your life will become boring and stifled. And you might even be thinking, “no, not that God. Not yet”. I pray that you may know that isn’t the truth. The truth is that through surrender of whatever God has placed on your heart, you will become freer and more yourself and you’ll be able to live a more joyful life. I know it is hard; it’s very hard for us humans. We’re not strong, but know that God wants to set you free and help you to surrender. He is so powerful that he will do that for you.

Here’s one final piece of encouragement.

Jesus chose to surrender his life for me and you. He came down from heaven to suffer temptation, ridicule, beatings and death on the cross. And He would do it again and again without hesitation if it meant saving you.

Prayer for surrender.

Dear Lord, I will no longer resist the “no’s” you give me. I trust you and your plans for my life. I am sorry for resisting so long, but I know you have amazing plans and I choose surrender today. I pray that through your strength the things that are keeping me from you may be removed. Amen

Quote from: So Will I (100 Billion X) by Hillsong UNITED

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

It is Jesus that you seek

Putting Faith into Perspective

Loving Others